Friday, October 9, 2009

Random Thoughts

I miss...driving, Thai food, sleeping without waking up at 3AM, dryers that don't shrink your clothes to Barbie size, the big soft sugar cookies with pink frosting you buy at gas stations, Maverick refills, Costco pharmacy, bread pudding from the Nordstrom cafe, walking Peter Jarman's Newfoundlands through Federal Heights, jogging by the Salt Lake City cemetary, going to Bees games with my dad, how a freshly mowed lawn smells on a summer evening, queen size beds, wearing flip flops 24/7, not having to carry my passport around, the Euro at 1.25 I don't miss...American news media, mindless consumption and consumerism, did I say American news media? Let me repeat that AMERICAN NEWS MEDIA, David Letterman, the US Congress, reality TV stars (who are the Kardashians anyway???), Kanye West, American yogurt and dairy products, meaningless social obligations, malfunctioning air conditioning, driving 1800 South in Bountiful, the radio black hole between Snowville, Utah and Boise, Idaho, American Idol and talk radio I gave myself a Le Creuset casserole for my birthday. It is sapphire blue and it will provide me the means to conquer beouf bourguignon. Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I also hate American news media, that is why I only watch the local news cause its about all I can stand (and that's pushing it). And I hate American Idol (gasp!). I thought I was the only person on the face of the planet that doesn't like it, heaven forbid. Glad I have a fellow hater!

I agree about American yogurt, why can't we get it right like the Europeans can? But Maverick's frozen yogurt and Red Mango's are unbelievable. If you haven't been to RM then I'm taking you there next summer! I dream about it, it's that good.

miss you!

Mary said...

Now you know why I get a blank look on my face at the mention of pop culture. I grew up in that black hole between Snowville and Boise. :-) Imagine my joy when, in 5th grade, we got a TV. If you held the antenae just right and positioned everyone just right in the room you could make out images through the fuzz. Ahhh..the good old days!