Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Raindrops on Roses

When the VonTrapp children were scared by a thunderstorm, Maria sang "My Favorite Things" to them as a way of dispelling their worries. I hope the same tactic will work on a gloomy Russian Thanksgiving day. Rain. Clouds. Mud. Dark. Blech. I've been chased by the shadow of a bad mood for a time now. I can't discuss many of the reasons because they involve other people whose business is not mine to share. Suffice it to say, there is plenty of suffering to go around and I'm grieving with those that grieve. The perpetual rain storm a'la Portland is not helping. Being far away from home at the holidays often makes the days feel long. Every time I receive one of those family emails directed to a bulk mailing list inviting me to the Messiah sing-in or a Christmas party 7,000 miles away, my heart dies a little. A reminder of how not-normal my life is. Time to trot out my favorite things so then I won't feel so bad. What do I love, besides my family, my church and my country? Let's keep this more mindless and shallow, shall we? 1. Waffle cookies. I forgot how much I love waffle cookies until, in my new church calling as nursery leader, I was handed a bag of Russian waffle cookies because one of my regulars, a beautiful young lady named Aviana, loves them. Those light crunchy layers, the sweet creamy filling. Yum. 2. Ugg boots. I have written before about Ugg boots. I love my sheepskin lined warmth for the toesies Ugg boots. I will probably never be able to wear cute Manolos or high-heeled, high fashion drama pumps without crippling myself, but Uggs make me happy. 3. Celebrity gossip. Can't wait for Lindsey Lohan to go Britney Spears. 4.Twinkle lights. They can make an otherwise desolate, lonely looking Russian birch tree look magical. 5. Finding something rare at the grocery store. Found fresh sage, sweet potatoes and fresh cranberries at the store in the last two weeks. :happy dance: 6. Being a nursery leader at church. One of my two church jobs, I take care of 18 month to 2 year old children for two hours every Sunday. I love the kids and I love the job. Life is great when all it takes to make you happy is a nap and some matchbox cars. 7. Books. Priorities are: reading, breathing, eating. 8. Laughing. I've been watching "The Big Bang Theory" sitcom on DVD. My friend Bethany is a PA to one of the producers. I've watched some episodes four times. Laughed. I watched Friends' "The One with all the Thanksgiving Flashbacks" yesterday. Laughed. 9. Nice people. The new mission president invited us for a Thanksgiving meal--that I don't have to cook. I needed someone to be nice to my family today and the invitation was heaven sent. My neighbor has offered to help look after my twin girls when I go to Boston in two weeks. Abby is going to Lindsey's apartment by school. Heaven sent. My sister Julie is hosting my twenty year old daughter over the weekend. I don't worry about Sara being lonely if she is with Julie. Heaven sent. My friend Bethany burns TV shows to DVD from her TiVo and mails them to Russia. Heaven sent. 10. Sleeping in. Thanksgiving prep for Saturday means I will not be sleeping in much. However, there is nothing like waking up when you feel like it. Without an alarm clock playing nasty Russian techno music. There. I came up with ten. No white copper kettles or warm woolen mittens, but I know I'm blessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are loving BBT. For my money, nothing beats Jim's performance in last year's Christmas episode, "I can grow my own Leonard Nimoy!"

Will send more disks to your mom's in the next week or so. :)

Brenda said...

I always love reading your musings. Glad you have favorite things! I too love Big Bang Theory, books and being a nursery leader for a calling. Bruce and I did that for almost two years and it is one of our favorites. Love you!

Jeff Clayton said...

You are one of my favorite things! I love to read anything you write. What a gift you have.

I think Sara is staying with the right family. Gym with Spencer yesterday and today. We are talking hard core at the gym.

Julie said...

I had so much fun with Sara. She is hilarious and we love her company. It made MY weekend to have her here.

I MISS YOU! We missed you at Thanksgiving. I will cheer and rejoice the day we can be together for the holidays.

xoxo

Mary said...

Heather--I think all the time about calling you but never when it is the right time in Russia. I called Sara one day hoping I had it right, but I didn't. I can't wait to see you in Boston. I loved your list...too good. And guess what? I'm nursery leader too. :-)