Monday, September 20, 2010

The Sunny Side of the Street

Expat Year 4 Goal: Optimism

1. The 2.5 hours it takes to wash my whites gives me time to walk three times or more around Rosinka.

2. Speaking of walking around Rosinka, at least twice a week, I have brand new episodes of "This American Life" and "The Moth" to listen to. Both are free and will not trigger the iTunes lockout that happens to people like me who download outside the continental United States. Bonus.

3. I don't have to stay up late to watch the new fall TV shows. I can find them uploaded, however dubious the legality, and watch them on my computer at my kitchen table while I chop onions. I can check televisionwithoutpity to see if the episodes are worth watching. Less time wasted. Check.

4. The amount of time it takes to get from Rosinka to school is perfect for napping.

5. I'm not losing a sister-friend with Lindsey moving to London, I am gaining a new couch to sleep on when I have the chance to leave Russia.

6. Parry's month of traveling may mean he'll hit Gold Medallion status this year so he can be in the "Sky Team Elite" line at the airport.

7. The discovery that my $15 restaurant cheeseburger was chewy raw in spots has been incentive to save my money. I haven't lost a convenient eat out option, I've become more thrifty. Yay for homecooking!

8. The gray and overcast weather has given me a chance to break out a few cute fall items from my closet. A favorite is a black corduroy A-line skirt from Boden. I may buy it in denim.

9. Going back to the US for Abby's December endocrinology appointment isn't an expensive holiday detour, it's the chance to buy Christmas in person instead of from Amazon.  Also--to pack Rachel and Allyson's bags for their Russia flight. It will save me the stress of sitting in front of the computer, refreshing the Delta flight status website every 15 minutes to make sure that JFK isn't snowed in. Instead, I'll be waiting for mobile phone updates. Much more convenient.

10. Our rent only went up a little this year. The bus fares went up a little. And inflation will only be 10%. I don't eat buckwheat so the fact that every store is sold out of it is okay.

The truth is I have a lot to be grateful for. I am cognizant every day of the randomness of life and the seemingly arbitrary nature of tragedy and trial.  There have been moments in the last 4 months when I felt like I was suffocating slowly from the stress. Now that I have a moment to breathe, I am determined to enjoy my blessings. I have no idea what the future will bring. There is no question that 2010 will go down as the "transition year." I suspect that 2011 will bring transitions as well as we figure out whether we will stay in Russia beyond our contract (ends in August) or whether we return to the US (where?) or whether we stay international.  I have my suspicions, but I'm keeping my cards close until more time passes. In the meantime, I have another expat goal.

Expat Year 4 Goal #2: Live in the moment.

Bring it, Mother Russia.

3 comments:

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Heather I'm loving this new outlook! It makes the crappy days so much better.

I needed this today. Thank you for posting.

P.S. you forgot one thing on your list--- coming to the land of sun and heat to visit ME!

Clayton & Company said...

Clark Grizwald would be proud. As he once noted, "Worse? How can it get any worse? We're at the threshold of hell!"
For what it's worth, Jerry Garcia always said that the sunny side of the street is dark.
- from a confused, home-sick, former ex-pat